Monday, October 29, 2007

My first call from the principal...........


I got an interesting voice message last week...........it was the principal, at Olivia's school, and Olivia, letting me know that there was a little problem on the playground at recess, but it was being resolved, and would I please call and talk to the principal at my convenience. I immediately panicked! My first thought.......Olivia in the Principal's office.........uh oh, what did she do? I am ashamed to say, she did not get the benefit of the doubt! I called Jon, who calmed me down enough to tell me I needed to call the principal and get the scoop. He was so nice, and on his daughter's side! So, I called her back, and got the whole story, which went something like this:


Olivia and her friend have been getting chased at recess. They don't like this chasing game, and it's against school rules. They have told the boy, Nicolas, to stop chasing them, and he would not relent. So, after enough attempts of "using her words" Olivia pushed Nicolas to the ground. He hopped up and punched her in the arm. The playground aid got involved, and they both wound up in the Principal's office. At this point in the story, I am secretly championing my daughter. Way to stand up for yourself, kiddo! The principal very kindly explained to me that while Olivia was justified in her frustration, and had taken many good steps in resolving the conflict, and asserting herself, she ultimately landed in the office for flattening this boy. She continued to say that Olivia was very honest in explaining her story and she appreciated that. To resolve things, Olivia and Nicolas were invited back to the Principal's office during lunch recess to play checkers, which they did.


When I later asked Olivia if they were friends now, she said, "I think so."


I can't tell her this, but I secretly LOVE that she is confident enough to stand up for herself no matter what! I am proud of my seven year old playground tough girl!

6 comments:

Sue said...

Way to go OLIA! I'm with you Jen. There's to many bullys in this world and if we don't take a stand we get trampled on. Did she beat him at checkers too? That would be sweet revenge if she can beat him in the field as well as in the mind.

Fancy Nancy said...

I LOVE that she can flatten the boy to the ground! That's what I'm talkin' about! Also a great reminder for us moms to hear the whole story before jumping to conclusions! Go Olivia!

cryssal said...

Tell Olivia that Jaide went to the Principal's office in first grade too! Though she was turning the silverware into bracelets. I always wanted Jaide to push a few boys around!

Raina said...

Knock em out next time Olivia! hehehe... I should have done this a million times when I was young, and was always afraid the punch back in the arm would hurt too bad. I am most impressed that she actually tried to resolve it w/o the fight first. You have a great little lady.

grandma bonnie said...

I am so proud of my little granddaughter, she is a brave little sole with a great mind to try and negotiate first. I am sure there are quite a few times when I myself would have "enjoyed" alittle push back with an annoying male. I Love You Olivia!

Reba said...

I'm so proud! I think we older women can learn from her!