Monday, February 25, 2008

Tofu Cake

I ran into the grocery store the other day to purchase tofu and birthday candles.  The checker looked up and sarcastically said, "Please tell me you are not making a tofu birthday cake." Actually, I admitted, that is exactly what I planned to do.  Here is the recipe for one of our favorite chocolate cakes which I made last week for Jon's birthday, in case any of you are feeling adventurous!  I got the recipe from a little cafe that used to be in Salt Lake called the Park Ivy.  We fell in love with the cafe, back in our vegan days, and were thrilled to find a vegan cake that is delicious, too!  (It's actually delicious even if you factor out the vegan part, I dare anyone to tell me that it tastes healthy in any way!).


Tofu-Chocolate Cake

(1) 10.5 oz pkg. silken tofu
1/3 cup canola oil 
1 1/4 c. water
2 1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 Tbsp. powdered egg replacer
2 1/2 cup pastry flour
2 cups sugar or sucanat
1 1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup cocoa powder

1.  Grease and flour bundt pan.  Pre-heat oven to 350.
2.  Blend tofu and oil in blender, add water, egg replacer and vanilla.
3.  Combine remaining ingredients in a mixing bowl.
4.  Add tofu mixture and whip for 3 minutes.
5.  Pour into pan and bake for 35 minutes.
6.  Cool 20 minutes, remove from pan.
7.  Cool thoroughly before icing.

Frosting:

1 c. powdered sugar
1/3 c. cocoa powder
1 Tbsp. canola oil
2 Tbsp. plus 1 1/2 tsp. soy milk
1 tsp. vanilla

1.  Mix sugar and cocoa in small bowl set aside.
2.  Blend oil, soy milk, and vanilla in a food processor or blender until smooth.
3.  Slowly add sugar mixture until creamy and thick.
4.  Spread on cake-dust with walnuts or coconut.


6 comments:

Reba said...

Ooo it looks tasty! Do you have any gluten-free recipes? I can't have gluten anymore. :(

Jen said...

No gluten free, sorry! You could make the cake with rice flour, I bet it would be good.

j and k said...

What the heck, little Martha-Vegan style. You are making the rest of us look bad. Please stop it. Now...

cryssal said...

Is it better than the Emeril Carrot Cake?

Phoebe said...

I need to try it. I am intrigued.

Kristen said...

It looks yummy, I cant wait to try it..thanks for sharing the recipe!