Friday, October 17, 2008

a tribute to greatness...

My dear Aunt Carolyn passed away this afternoon after a long struggle with brain and breast cancer.  She was 62 years old.  This is a picture of her(on the left) with my mom, her younger sister.  I have so many wonderful memories and thoughts of Carolyn going through my mind tonight.  My heart is aching for those she left behind.  She was such a force for good in her family, her neighborhood and her community.  She had so many friends and touched so many lives.  She was amazingly kind to everyone.  We would always say, "Carolyn never meets a stranger."  I was so shy growing up and I would just look at the way she treated people, and the way she brought joy to people, and I was always awe-struck by the magnitude of her heart, and the fearless way she reached out to everyone from the bag boy at the market to the people she took care of in her long career as a nurse.  She had a love for her Savior that she was never afraid to share with others.  Her faith was inspiring.  It is a comfort to know that the painful ending of her life is over and that she has found rest with God.


She lived in North Carolina, but my best summer memories are of vacations at her home and at her beach home in Myrtle Beach.  She had no children of her own, and when my siblings and I would visit her, she treated us with amazing love and generosity.  She was a true Southern Belle, beautiful inside and out, and always the lady.  She inspired me in life, and will continue to inspire me as someone who walked her walk and lived life every single day to its fullest, all the while loving and serving everyone whose path intersected her own.  

Tonight my heart is broken for her mother, her husband, and her siblings.  Their family will be left with a hole without Carolyn's joyous laughter.  I pray that they will all feel comfort at this sad time.  I know that I will hold my memories of her close to my heart and try to emulate her wonderful qualities that touched my life and changed me for the better.

12 comments:

cryssal said...

Jen, I am so sorry. Tell your mom we are thinking of you guys and will keep you all in our prayers.

Raina said...

What a beautiful thing to write! I hope that those holes and aches for your aunt will soon be replaced with comfort. She sounds like a person I wish I had known! We are all blessed with a few truly special people in our lives, and when they are gone, it just doesn't seem fair. I'm sorry to hear such sad news. My prayers are with you as well!

Fancy Nancy said...

I am sorry Jen. I know your mom has been back there helping her and I am sure this is incredibly hard. She sounds like an amazing Aunt, sibling, friend and leader that will be so missed.

j and k said...

Jen, I'm so sorry! It's so hard to lose someone you love so much! I'm really sorry-I can't imagine. I hope you have some peace in this hard time and know that you are in our thoughts, prayers, and that we love you!

BIG Brother said...

Amen Jen, couldn't have put that any better. She was definitely loved by all and will be greatly missed. I will never forget those vacations, they were a highlight of my youth as well. She might not always tell you what you wanted to hear, but you knew that what she said was out of love and I'll always appreciate that about her. I love & miss her very much.

Phoebe said...

What a hard thing. Last year when Agnes was born my uncle was dying of cancer. I was so grateful for that new baby to help fill the gap that he left. It is a comfort when you feel heaven so near and to have a chance to recognize the gratitude we have for the families that we are blessed to be a part of.

Kristen said...

what a beautiful tribute. I am so very sorry to hear the news, our thoughts are with your mom and your entire family. I'm so sorry.

Erin said...

What a kind tribute. She was certainly loved. She will be there just in time to give this baby of yours some words of wisdon, no doubt. I too will be thinking and praying for you and your entire family.

Gel said...

Jen, I'm so sorry to hear about your aunt. That was such a beautiful tribute to her. You fit right into her family, cause many of those attributes you have. Please let me know when you need help. I will be thinking and praying for your family during this hard time.

Nicholle said...

What a beautiful tribute! Our prayers will be with your family!

Cathi said...

Carolyn's Baby Sister,
Thank you Jennifer for a beautiful tribute to Carolyn. She loved her family and she loved the Lord. On Friday, October 17, 2008nat 2:28 p.m. she saw Her Lord and Savior for the very first time. What an awesome thought. It makes Heaven alittle bit closer now. I already miss her, but I couldn't ask her to come back now. She is cancer free and have taken several "power walks" on those streets of Gold. I would love for you to send me that picture of her and Bonnie, I don't have that picture. Thanks. I love you. Cathi

grandma bonnie said...

I truely love it! What a fantastic tribute to our "special" lady. What a void in my heart she leaves and I will miss her so very much but I am so happy she has left an everlasting impression on your life as well. Thank you so much for honoring her in this special way, I know she would be so appreciative that you loved and cared for her so much. Love you.