Friday, June 19, 2009

while the cats away..

So, it is the annual "Daddy/Daughter Camp-Out" for our ward this weekend, and Max was soooo sad that he was not invited along for this one! He always wants to be ANYWHERE that Dad is. Molly runs a close second. I, on the other hand, am constantly trying to win him over, to no avail! I stinkin' adore this kid. He just warms my heart with his sweet demeanor, his winning smile, his sensitive spirit. Not that I'm playing favorites, but geez this kid has got a hold on me! And, I know he loves me, he tells me so at least five times a day (he is so sweet!), but he just loves his daddy MORE (to say the least). Anywho, in my efforts to woo him and to make him happy he stayed with me this weekend, I pulled out the BIG GUNS! We went on a TRAIN RIDE! We rode the MAX train (how cool is that?) downtown, got dinner, and then rode it back! He was SO excited all day leading up to this big event. He just kept saying, "I wanna ride the train, the M-A-X spells Max train!". He was so enthusiastic, and the night did not disappoint! He was in heaven. Here are some pics of the outing:

Here's me, trying to prove I was there!

After we got back to the car he announced he wanted ice cream, and of course, his wish was my command. We stopped at Cold Stone on the way home. When we got home, we all got our jammies on. I quickly got a very tired Ian to bed, and asked Max if he'd like to sleep with me tonight ("oh yeah, baby," was his resounding answer). After we brushed our teeth, I read him 11 Dora the Explorer stories. He could not believe that I kept agreeing to "just one more." When he was ready to go to sleep, he rolled over and asked me to sing him some songs. "Which ones?" I asked.
Row your boat, Twinkle twinkle, Child of God (so I sang, and then he added) Hurries down the hill, Doe a dear, and Spoonful of Sugar.

I think Max enjoyed being an only child for the night.

I am soooooo much cooler than dad right now.

9 comments:

Gel said...

What a great night. I should have joined you Jackson would have liked that better than walking the mall!! At least he's young right.

Alisha B. Whitman said...

You're so funny! How great that he got to enjoy your full attention, I bet he slept so happily. His response to sleeping in your bed - too cute.

Kristen said...

What a darling story!! I love this! Way to go mom!

Raina said...

11 books? and all those songs! Even on my best nights I won't go THAT far! You definately won him over, and those Max pictures are so funny. He looks like he is in heaven! What little boy isn't? Wow.. and Ice cream? Can I be YOUR only child for a night? heheheh great job!

cryssal said...

I think you win the best mom ever award!

Marta said...

What a cute mom you are! I love hearing about the wonderful mommy/son day you had! It sounds like a perect day for a perfect mommy and little boy!
Thanks for sharing!

j and k said...

Whatever-mom's are always cooler than dads. For some reason our kids just don't know it. What a FUN day! I'm impressed with how creative you are with your activities! You guys are going to be such good friends your whole lives! He's a lucky boy!

Mel said...

You are such a great mom! What a fun time. I can just imagine what he thought of the MAX train.

Erin said...

So cute! You are a darling mom. he is a lucky kiddo.