Friday, April 23, 2010

Update

Just thought I'd update so I'm not leaving all of my avid readers hanging out there... I flew to Utah last week to be with my dad and family after a call from my mom which went something like this, "Dad has taken a turn for the worse, and is in ICU." That was my answer, and I hopped on a plane a few hours later. My dad spent 4 days in ICU where he stabilized and got the medications out of his system that were causing him problems. When he came out of his fog, he realized that he was unable to feel his legs. A neurologist assessed him and diagnosed him with Guillain-Barre Syndrome, which is an auto-immune disorder in which antibodies that attach viruses start attacking the myelin sheath around your nerves. It is something that usually comes on after a stomach virus or a respiratory infection, both of which my dad has had in the weeks preceding his hospital stay. Most people with GBS make a full recovery, and we are praying that that will be the case with my dad. He has been moved to the rehab wing at the hospital and is doing rigorous Occupational Therapy and Physical Therapy several times each day to regain his strength. He is sick of the hospital and is having a hard time sleeping, but considering last week the doctors were saying things like "possible stroke or brain tumor" we are all feeling very blessed to have this diagnosis. My dad is a fighter and will get strong and healthy again sooner than the average Joe, I just know it!


Thank you to all of my great friends who took care of my family in my absence. There were meals coming in and playdates being had every day. Jon was very relieved for the help. I was a little conflicted about that, since I secretly hoped he could see what life is really like when he travels and I tow the line, but my friends are too kind to share my vengeance.

I am home now, and putting the pieces all back together. And missing my dad and Utah family like crazy!

10 comments:

BIG Brother said...

we miss you too! (and your cinnamon bears!)

Alisha B. Whitman said...

So glad to hear he's doing better. We were all thinking of you for sure.

Aspen said...

I am glad the diagnosis wasn't worse, as you mentioned. And I am glad you were able to go back and spend time with him and your family. That is so important at times like these!

Phoebe said...

So happy to hear that he is on the mend and healthy enough to be sick of the hospital:)

j and k said...

He is seriously a strong guy! I know it helped both him and your mom to be there to advocate and be a voice piece for them in their time of need(with doctors and such). They are lucky to have such a supportive, intelligent, good daughter! You'll all continue to be in our prayers! How is Jon's dad?

cryssal said...

Tell Papa to keep up the good work!

Betsy said...

Glad your daddy's doing better! I've been thinking of you.

Nicholle said...

Heard about your dad when we got back. Glad he is doing a little better! Our prayers will be with him!

Gel said...

I'm glad he is doing a little better. I hope he is continues to do better. When Jon goes out of town we will give u that kind of service too!! just let us know when he is gone!

Kristen said...

I am loving angelicas comment :) you have such awesome friends! I wish I was there to help when John was gone, But Im glad I was *here* to help when you were gone :) Also so glad to hear your dad is doing better..whew!!