Monday, January 18, 2010

missed by an inch....

So, I was laying in bed last night, listening to the wind blow, and hoping that my big maple would not topple on my children sleeping soundly upstairs, when BAM, CRASH, RATTLE, I heard and felt a jolt. I immediately ran upstairs and saw that the kids were fine, and I proceeded to run crazy through the house looking for holes or damage. I was so afraid to look outside, but like the girls who follow the scary noises in horror films, I put my boots on and headed outside in my robe. Sure enough, the tree fell. Or half of the tree, to be more accurate. Since it was midnight, I just took a sleeping pill and headed back to bed. Of course, even then, my heart was racing so crazily that I couldn't sleep much. Of course, Jon was out of town, and I just kept worrying about the part of the tree that was still standing, you know, that whole waiting for the other shoe to drop thing. It never did, and when I awoke this morning, to a frantic call from Jon (maybe I was a wee bit dramatic in an email to him after the occurrence), and assessed the damage, it appears that we had a mighty strong angel who hefted said tree just a smidge to keep it from crunching our babies and losing our upper level. We are so grateful for a MIRACLE that kept our home and family safe. What a blessing!


Also, we have the BEST friends who all called concerned this morning and ran to our rescue. What would we do without all of these great people who bless our lives.


11 comments:

Alisha B. Whitman said...

So glad you're all okay and no serious damage! I wouldn't have slept a wink the rest of the night - you poor thing. Get some better rest tonight!

Mandy said...

Crazy! I hope Jon comes home soon!

Reba said...

I'm glad y'all are okay! I laughed at how you compared yourself to girls in scary movies following noises. So funny.

grandma bonnie said...

I am a thankful mama and grandma that all my babies are fine! Poor Max, hope this does not upset him too much.

Rosie said...

Whoa! That was some wicked wind and I am so glad that everyone is okay!

Gel said...

I'm so glad that you were ok!! What a horrible night.
So glad for facebook too!! to keep us informed right! Thanks for yesterday it was fun!

Raina said...

Yikes!!1 this is super scary! I'm pretty sure I would have been a wreck the next day! Being alone doesn't help one bit. I love the pictures though. :D

Phoebe said...

Crazy! These blasted trees everywhere:) Glad you don't have an emergency remodel on your hands!

Erin said...

So scary. miracle to be sure. So glad all is well, except for the sad tree.

Sugarlene said...

The Lord ALWAYS has mammas #1 on his priority list....especially "single" mammas....that includes "part-time" single mamas!!!! What a brave mama!!

Sugarlene said...

AND...I would have brought in dinner that day....if I lived closer!!!!:)