Thursday, October 21, 2010

jean obsession...

So, I am going to make an admission. For the past, um, let's say five years, minus pregnancy months, I have been on a denim hunt. I have tried on every (no exaggeration) pair of jeans in Nordstrom at least twice. From the most premium to the Brass Plum bargains. I am constantly looking at womens' butts, to determine what jean they are wearing and if I like it or could pull it off. I regularly check denim blogs, new arrivals, half yearly and anniversary sales, etc., to see if there is something I've missed. Here's the bottom line (pun intended):

I have a weird body. I am not looking for approval here. It's just a fact. The distance from my belly button to my you know what is like a mile. The jean trend has been ultra low, which didn't even cover my you know what. The rises have gotten a little higher in the last year, but not quite high enough to cover my booty. The discouraging part is that these premium jeans look so fabulous on everyone I see, even those with less than perfect bodies, that I have convinced myself that there must be a pair out there for me and I have obsessed over it. I talked myself into believing that I needed to spend $150 or more to get a great pair of jeans. I saved my money so that I could do it. I thought I had found the pair, but when I went back to retry them I realized that they just weren't right. Too tight in my thighs (which are substantial thanks to running, but I like them), too many creases in the booty. If I try the next size up, they are saggy in the fanny.

I mean, seriously, why can't I look like this in Seven for All Mankind (serious crack and muffin top):

or pull this off in Paige (don't they look higher? Not on me):
or these, they showed real promise, I had several people tell me that they look good on everybody (if that's not a blow to one's self esteem):
I guess it's just not meant to be (sigh). So, once again, I wandered into The Gap, my old stand- by, and ended up buying these (Long and Lean):
and these, Curvy, (because they were having a sale: 40% off all denim and I got two pairs for half of what I would have paid for the premium pair):
The bad news is that I am just not "premium jeans" material. The good news is that I just saved enough to buy a new pair of shoes, and that is a purchase that never makes me feel crappy about my body.

How about ya'll? What are your favorite jeans and why? Does anyone else feel my pain?

12 comments:

Raina said...

I LOVE this post! Mostly because I too can relate. I settle most often, and end up with one flaw in the jeans or another. At least you were big enough to put it all out there. :D I am convinced those are fake women in the photos!!! And really.. do they have to pose like that?

Vixie said...

Iam not a shopper!! Hats off your determination. However, last year I tried the CK jeans from Costco and I have loved them. They certainly are not premium, but I really like them, for me. I am with Raina in that I think the women in those photos are fake!! No one has the perfect body for any jeans...

Betsy said...

I'm always on the hunt for a good pair of jeans, too. I had some that fit great...prepregnancy. Now I have this lovely muffin top that is no good with my (old) favorite jeans. So the search goes on again...

j and k said...

Are you serious? I always pose like those models in the pictures, only my muffin top flaps free and proud. What's wrong with a little mclovin' on my mclove handles? I love this post! I can never find the right pair and it's a frustration. I'm too cheap to pay for "premium" and they never fit me right anyway. I may just run to the Gap though and grab the ones you bought! I love them!
Cute choices...and with your ROCKIN bod, you will look super hot in them!

Phoebe said...

I always think you look good in your jeans and I am oblivious enough to not realize that people are wearing "premium"! However, my favorite standbys are IT jeans from Nordy's. Not too expensive and they look good on everyone:)

Gel said...

I totally agree with you... I love that gap is your fall back jeans because those are mine too!! Long and lean love them. You know the only pair I love are the one pair of seven jeans that I got but can't find another pair like them.. So I'm not help!

cryssal said...

I AM the woman in the photos and I pretty much look good in every pair of jeans I wear. I don't see what the big deal is! I am glad you found some jeans! YAY! And at such an awesome deal.

Emmalee said...

I loved this post. Made me chuckle... And I totally feel your pain. I have yet to find a great pair of jeans on my wonky body... I did have one pair I liked from American Eagle maybe 5 years ago. I still wear them, but they are so worn out! I have a dream that some day I'll find that "perfect" jean...

Rosie said...

Jen, You are awesome. I get so depressed while shopping for jeans or any pants for that matter. I hope that you haven't been checking on my bumb:) I love sevens because they are long but I feel like I always have a muffin top. They need to start making pants that actually fit more people than models. I know that you can have your pants custom made for not too much more than premium jeans. Never done it but have been tempted. Have you tried KUT jeans at Nordy?

Brittany said...

i remember buying a pair of lucky's when i lived in chicago that i wore out with love. i remember the day i squated to pick something up and rrriiiiip! i had a hole in the knee (better than a hole in the behind). i couldn't come to buy another pair with my lousy student income... then i found a pair of levi's at the levi store downtown chicago for only $20. i loved those too! they looked great on me. the trouble was, when i went to buy more (of the same EXACT style) they didn't fit the same. something was different.

so yeah, jeans can be lame. even when you seem to find the ones that are right, they can stab you in the back with some kind of flaw (even if it is being the only one of its kind).

glad you're happy with your final purchase. i know you've put a lot of thought into this... :) and, i'm certain you look hot in them!

Sue said...

I don't buy jeans...I just get hand-me-downs. You see many years ago Jon gave Danny a pair of jeans (I don't even know the brand but knowing Jon they must have been close to preimum) and when Danny moved out he left a bunch of stuff. Well, I tried them on the other day and, muffin top and all, they fit, I could breathe, I could sit in them and the best part of it all was...I didn't have to do the jump up dance or lay on the bed to zip them up. Gotta love those hand-me-downs! (thanks Jon!)

Erin said...

I am aware of your jean obsession and I love the gap jeans you got! There is nothing wrong with not being a premium denim girl. My favorite jeans right now are from Ann Taylor Loft, love the fit . . .love the price. But are you sure the Citizen's didn't work? I think it's just cuz you weren't standing in that oh so natural position. Try that pose and try them again, then you'll probably love them.