Wednesday, November 18, 2009

a grateful book review...

This is is my book recommendation of the month. I love it, love it, love it. If you come to my house for Thanksgiving, you can sit at my feet, and I will read it to you...


A very dear friend gave it to me many years ago for my birthday, and each year at this time I read it a million times: to myself, to my kids, to just about anyone who will listen.

It's about a girl who calls a family meeting to tell her parents that they need to be more ambitious and make more money. Her parents tell her that, actually, they are rich. Then, they proceed to do an accounting, on paper, of all of their possessions. They place a monetary value on things like the ability to work outdoors, how much their children are worth to them, and the nights they get to sleep under the stars.

Here's an excerpt...

and now my paper says four million and sixty thousand dollars--and we haven't even started counting actual cash. To tell the truth, the cash part doesn't seem to matter anymore. I suggest it shouldn't even be on a list of our kind of riches.

It just tugs at my heart every time I read it! Top it all off with gorgeous illustrations! Run out and get it soon! (you could use your Border's Rewards coupon!!!)

5 comments:

j and k said...

What an awesome book! I'm so glad you shared! I think I need to go get that.

Nicholle said...

Thanks! I am always looking for a new book to read to my children!

Raina said...

This looks and sounds sooo cute! I'm so glad you shared it. I'll have to go get it, and that borders rewards is perfect. :D

cryssal said...

I can't wait to sit at your feet while you read it to me!

Erin said...

Oh that book, will forever tug at my heart strings. perfect book for the Thanksgiving season. I think that is what we'll be reading this evening. Thanks for the reminder, dear friend.