Friday, November 9, 2007

The scariest moment of my life

On a serious note..............


Today I ran downstairs to print a Map Quest to Max's doctor's appointment.  Max and Molly were sitting on my bed watching Sesame Street.  I was downstairs no longer than 3 minutes when Jon and I heard horns honking outside.  Jon looked at me and said, "it's too quiet up there," and bolted from the room.  I paused.  Then, my stomach sank and I ran up the stairs. The back door was open.  I looked out the living room window and saw Molly standing at the very top of our driveway, just feet from one of the busiest streets in town.  I SCREAMED, and ran outside.  I could not see Max.  I was freaking out.  Jon was 5 seconds ahead of me, and moves much quicker. I was praying non-stop in my heart, "please let them be o.k."  I rounded the corner of my garage, and saw Jon, with both of their hands in his, walking down the drive way.  He was stark white.  My knees felt as if they would buckle any moment, and as I picked up Molly and nearly squeezed her to death, I started bawling.  How did that happen so fast? As all of you know, that street is my biggest nightmare.  I have had that exact dream so many times, and have chased them as they've dodged cars, laughing and squealing, as if it were a game.  When I told Molly that the road is a no-no, she nodded her head and laughed, "no-no!" They just don't get it yet.

Needless to say, now that Houdini Max has figured out the deadbolt; (and it was deadbolted, I promise) we have secured the premises.  This was a day I sure I will never forget.  Every time I swallow and feel my scratched, sore throat from my scream, my mind starts to wander about what almost happened, and I feel sick.  But, I am so grateful for the angels who stood around my babies today and kept them safe.  I have said countless prayers that they would be watched over and protected, and today was proof that prayers are really answered.  

And it's nice to have proof sometimes.


9 comments:

Phoebe said...

I still can't believe that! I am so glad that people were honking at least so you knew something was up!
When my sister was 2 she did the same thing, except she walked down the block and was standing in the MIDDLE of the road and some nice man returned her to the house. We hadn't even realized she was missing!

Tiffany said...

I am so sorry that you had to go through that! I have nightmares about Emma being kidnapped and I wake up in a panic. I am glad to hear that all is well!!!

Sue said...

I'm speechless!! Those two little angeles had their two little angels guarding them for sure.

cryssal said...

Whoa! I am still suggesting the shock collars, you can put a line around the primeter of you property or what ever perimeter (that is a fun word!) you would like and when they get within so many feet of it it will shock them. It might seem harsh but I am sure it will work!

Kristen said...

SO sad to read this..I know that this is really your worst nightmare. I am SO glad they are okay!!

Stephanie said...

Wow! Scary stuff Jen. Children escaping has always been a nightmare of mine too. I am glad you have added additional locks and bolts to protect your little escape artists.

Raina said...

That is about the scariest thing in the world. Hopefully that was the terrible nightmare you had dreamed up, and it will never happen again. These little ones are just getting too smart! They broke the code of the deadbolt. Very impressive!

Alisha B. Whitman said...

That is awful! Not something you forget quickly. Kids really are just too smart and too quick! My brother, Andrew, learned to push out the screen on a window downstairs and jump out by the time he was 2. Neighbors called multiple times because he'd jumped out a window and shown up in their backyard. Why don't they just stay put?

Alisha B. Whitman said...

That is awful! Not something you forget quickly. Kids really are just too smart and too quick! My brother, Andrew, learned to push out the screen on a window downstairs and jump out by the time he was 2. Neighbors called multiple times because he'd jumped out a window and shown up in their backyard. Why don't they just stay put?