Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Post Christmas fun...

So, after our Christmas festivities, the fun really began! We had super fun visitors fly in on Christmas night: Geoffy, Crystal, Jaide, and Tage. We love it when they come! It's always super fun, we have tons of laughs, and we find ourselves wishing they would just stop their silliness and move right back up here!

Also, Jon and Geoff's sister, Lesa, was in Vancouver, visiting Abby, and their group came down for a little par-tay! We had a spaghetti dinner, and then they dived into a traditional VW family Taffy Pull. It's a huge ordeal, and one that I am not particularly keen on, but I try to be supportive by staying out of the way, while the real experts do the dirty work. Here are the three stooges cooking the taffy (which takes F.O.R.E.V.E.R).

Then, the mix gets poured onto buttered plates to sit until it cools a bit before the real fun starts...
The Pulling begins! Molly pulls! (and takes lots of little bites along the way)
Jonny, an expert, pulls and shows everyone how it's done. His is my absolute favorite to eat. He is super nice, and even though I don't get involved in the process much, he lets me eat as much of his taffy as I want. I do have to admit, it's a super fun tradition, and I'm glad he carries it on with our kiddos. They love it.
We did a lot of other fun things, but, of course, my camera was MIA from most of it. Here are some pictures from our trip to Portland on the MAX train. My Max ("the real Max" as his friend from school likes to call him) reminded Ian (who is super into trains right now) that it is called the MAX train, NOT the Ian train. It was pretty funny. Here are Max and Jaide anxiously waiting for our train in the freezing cold!
While downtown, we shopped some super after Christmas sales and made our first ever trip to Voodoo doughnut. We waited in line close to an hour, but we've been told by many it's a Portland icon, so we were quite patient.
Here is the menu. Some super original doughnuts, not all of which were G-rated.
The Colorado clan eating their goods.
Molly with the M and M doughnut. I had a bite of most of our dozen, and this one rocked. A whole one would have put me in a sugar coma, but this doughnut would be totally worth it!
Here is the whole dozen. Such fun flavors!
Ian with his fruit loop doughnut. This one was good, but I preferred the Capt'n Crunch one.
Max with his Uncle Geoffy. They are good buddies, and were both worn out after our trip to town!
The whole 10 day visit was super fun, went too fast, and made me want to escape reality even more! It was so hard to go back to being the only one around to entertain my kiddos after they had such a fun time with their cousins and aunt and uncle. Come back soon guys! Do the Roar! (that is an inside joke).

3 comments:

cryssal said...

I love you Daddy! Oh, I am now back into my depression that I thought I had gotten out of since being home! We really need to move back! I love the pictures and the doughnuts were way yummy!

Unknown said...

I envy how fun and connected your two families are!!!! Looks like you had a great time - I have wanted to go to the Voodoo donute place fro some time now - so excited that you went and enjoyed it - hopefully we will get back to Portland (soon) and be able to go. :)

Mel said...

Mmmm... Taffy... What a fun tradition!