Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The things you do for love...

This morning Molly informed me that it is Jane's birthday. Jane is her new doll that she got for Christmas. Apparently Jane turned 3 today. So, to put a smile on my cute Molly's face, I decided to play along. We made a rice krispie "cake" with plenty of flower sprinkles, blew out candles, and I even mustered up a little gift for the special birthday doll. Molly thought this was all delightful, had a perma-grin, and kept telling me through it all that I am the "best mom ever."
That being said, I would like to insert a little note about something I like to call the "Molly-coaster." This is a super fun phenomena that I get to ride all day long. One minute, I am the best mom ever. And, wham! the next I am, and I quote, "the worst mom ever who doesn't love me at all!" Which she says full of venom. You should hear it. It's certifiably mean as heck! Yikes. And like the Molly-coaster's close cousin, the roller coaster, the whole up/down/around and around business makes me a little disoriented to say the least. She can no kidding, turn on a dime from the sugary-est little gal, to a little mini evil step sister. I am not sure how to handle it most of the time. My current strategy to survive the ride is to ignore the bad and super exaggerate the good. Also, at times I try the "random strategy" which goes something like this: Molly told me this evening how "no one loves her at all," so I asked her if her underwear were on inside out. She just sighed deeply and walked off in a huff. I am sure I just verified her theory, but what is a tired mom to do? Oh, I do love the little sucker. And, I think she's really smart, and is trying to test the world. By the way, we are all failing miserably, because we are not as clever as her little five year old self.

And, a totally unrelated side note: When Max was asked in Primary who is hero is, guess who named? Yep, Molly. He is probably the most frequent passenger on the Molly-coaster. So, I guess that just goes to show, there is a reason we all keep going back for more! She is totally worth it!

6 comments:

cryssal said...

I had a waffle incident on the Molly coaster! I think you should keep up the good work and put your hands in ther air, rollercoasters are way more fun when you do!

Emma said...

What a funny girl - cute story. And Max is a such a little sweetie :)

Sue said...

Jen, you really should be writing articles for some publication. Your words are so magical. I love this story!

j and k said...

I agree with Sue...you have a gift for capturing moments with words. I love reading your posts! This was hilarious. I know when you're the mom those rollercoasters aren't so fun all the time, but from an outsider's perspective, it's cute and hilarious. She's a doll...and don't worry-she hasn't even hit teenagehood yet. There's a megacoaster to come, and Grace and Eva are like the mega conductors.

Raina said...

I think you are amazing for having the little party! Way to Go. And... she is totally a super hero. :D

Erin said...

you are the best mom ever! What a great story.