Monday, July 2, 2007

I made strawberry jam today!











I bought strawberries for freezer jam today, and I learned a new trick , for all of you fellow jammers! I called the berry farm, and asked them if they had any strawberries left (since I procrastinated until late in the season). They said they had a few and offered to tag a flat for me. We headed out there after Olivia's swim lessons, and as I was paying $19.75 for my flat, I looked down and saw a note on a flat that said, "Jam flat: $5.00." I asked the lady what that was all about, and she said, "those are flats of soft strawberries that we sifted out of the others. They are just for syrups or jams." So, I said, "well, jam is what I am making, I'll take that one instead!" Needless to say, I left the farm $15.00 richer that I planned. And that is always a victory.

So, when I got home, I put my babies down for a nap, Olivia played outside, and I set out to make jam! Three hours later, I had thirteen containers of jam, for $5.00! Put that in your back pocket and flaunt it!

Bring on the raspberries!

No comments: