Monday, July 16, 2007

It still feels like our best times are together



Thirteen years ago, Jon and I were in a rental car, on our honeymoon, driving up the California coast, trying to decide what "our song" should be, when I felt something stabbing me in the behind. I reached into the seat of our Nissan Maxima and pulled out a cassette tape (yes, it's been that long ago) of recorded songs. We laughed at the irony, and I popped in the tape. We knew it was meant to be when we heard Bryan Adams crooning these words........


"It still feels like our first night together.

Feels like the first kiss, it's getting better baby,

no one can better this.

Still holding on, you're still the one.

First time our eyes met, same feeling I get.

It only gets much stronger, I want to love you longer.

You still turn the fire on.

So if you're feeling lonely, don't.

You're the only one I'll ever want.

I only want to make it good.

So if I love you a little more than I should........

Please forgive me, I know not what I do

Please forgive me, I can't stop loving you

Don't deny me this pain I'm going through

Please forgive me, if I need you like I do

Please forgive me, I can't stop loving you.


So, needless to say, we found our song. Or, more accurately, our song found us! And to this day, whenever I hear it on the radio, I call Jon and put my cell phone up to the speaker for the entire length of the song. Cheesy?


So, on this day, July 16th, 1994, I married my handsome prince, when I was 18 years old. I knew that I loved him then, and that somehow we would make it through this crazy world together. Now here we are, 13 years later, and things are so much more complicated. But the one constant in my life has always been him. He's the friend who I tell everything to. He's the only person in the world who has seen what I mess I REALLY am, and yet somehow falls more in love with me each year. How did I get so lucky?


I just wanted to publicly tell all of the world (who read my blog) that I am so incredibly grateful for Jonny, and wish him a Happy Anniversary! It's the closest thing I could get to shouting it from the mountain tops.


I love you, Jonny!

5 comments:

Erin said...

Congrats you two!! That picture of the fam is darling and the one of the two of you ain't so bad either. What a happy family.

Stephanie said...

Congratulations! I never forget your anniversary b/c it is also Julia's birthday. You guys are a great couple and a great family. Sure miss you!

Sue said...

Sorry we missed the blessed "day" but we're still in the blessed "week" to say...here's to another happy 13 years (and then some). There's nothing like being married to your best friend!!

Tiffany said...

Congratulations guys! And Todd and I thought hitting our year mark with all that has happened to us was a huge accomplishment! I can't wait for the years ahead. Jen, remember when we would sit and write the love quotes from movies...? Well, real-life is better!

Jen said...

I don't know, Tiff, sometimes the movies are so much less "messy." I still love our movie quote books!