Tuesday, January 15, 2008

A funny

Jon and I were talking last night after we put the kids to bed, and I was telling him that I feel like I need a project to take my mind off a particular sadness that has settled over me.  He agreed wholeheartedly.  I told him I was planning to paint.  Here's where it gets funny, because I was, of course, talking about painting the living room a new color.  But he thought I was planning on taking up painting, as a hobby, as in oil colors or pastels and landscapes or portraits.  So, we continued in this conversation for several minutes, in which he was getting excited over my new hobby.  Then, he asked me, "well, what do you need to get started?" and at that point I looked at him blankly.  "Um, just paint," I told him.  "That's it, don't you need canvases and stuff?"  This is where I started laughing hysterically.  How funny when you think you are 100% communicating clearly with your spouse and he has it WAY off.  I mean, he's lived with me for 13 1/2 years now, and he actually thought that every afternoon when my children are napping that I would don my smock and throw a canvas on my easel, hours later finishing my masterpiece and hanging them in various places around our home.  I don't have a creative NOR artistic bone in my body, dear Jon, but thank you for humoring me, and for trying so hard to be sensitive during this heartbreaking time in my life!


Ok, so maybe you had to be there.

11 comments:

Sue said...

Maybe Jon was thinking you were going to paint murals all over the house. What do you mean you don't have a creative bone in your body? Check out your own blog sister...talk about creative! Read your comments...your fans adore you. You might want to give yourself more credit. Can't wait to see your first MASTERPIECE from your newly acquired hobby.

Kristen said...

Oh my gosh, your killing me, the funniest part is, I can hear your voices as I was reading it, awesome. And I would LOVE a Jen original, should you ever decide to entertain the idea. It is absolutly false that you are not creative!

j and k said...

I lOVE this! I'll get a smock and we'll create squiggly little lines together in all of our artistic glory. I feel sad tonight. Can't stop crying. Please, please help me.

Phoebe said...

Maybe we could both take up painting. I need my bedroom and bathroom painted. After we finish your living room we can just head over to my place.
Do we need to go and get a Diet Coke on Thursday? We could look at paint chips? Maybe that will help lift your spirits.

Raina said...

Darn... I was looking forward to seeing Monet and picasso put to shame! I know you have it in you. I'll be bringing my easel, paints and canvases over later! Let's see what abstract art we can muster up!

Jen said...

Phoebe, I will probably need a case of diet coke, that would keep me out of bed at least!

cryssal said...

JOTB,
I so wish I could be there and spend a week in retail therapy with you! I could help get you started on your new hobby, which ever "Painting" you decide to try! I will be thinking of you tomorrow. Call if you need to. I am free until 6 and then after 8ish!

Alisha B. Whitman said...

Shoot, I was hoping to have a painting buddy other than Jenelle. Projects are great for clearing your mind though. We've been painting trim and doors and such and it's now totally consumed me. It's all I think about, my poor neglected family.

grandma bonnie said...

Sweetie, you get al your creative skills from your mom! But unlike your mom, where there is a way, Jen will find it! Love you to pieces...you are in my thoughts and prayers today and everyday!

grandma bonnie said...

Sweetie, you get al your creative skills from your mom! But unlike your mom, where there is a way, Jen will find it! Love you to pieces...you are in my thoughts and prayers today and everyday!

Chris and Che said...

Jen, so funny.We just had the same thing happen!...happens all the time actually.(maybe I shouldn't admit that on the internet.) Having read all the comments on this post-I agree, I'm not hearing this not creative song.