Tuesday, January 29, 2008

A hit and run


As I was driving my sweet new ride today, I came upon a cute little squirrel nibbling on a goodie in the middle of the road and I slowed down a bit, waiting for it to scurry away as they usually do. Well, it didn't scurry, it just sat there, very into its snack.  So, I swerved a bit, to miss it, and at that moment it chose to scram.  Well, great timing little nutcase!  I hit it!  Yuck! But not a big hit....... more of a partial hit.  I looked in my rear view mirror to see it struggling.  UGH!  I feel terrible!  And what's worse, I came back on that same route and it was GONE!  Oh dear, I have these terrible illusions of its little family coming into the road with a tiny stretcher made out of twigs and oak leaves and carrying it off to die in the shade of its favorite tree.  Am I terrible?  I feel terrible.  Oh, who's that knock on my door?  Probably PETA.

6 comments:

Kristen said...

This is freaking hillarious! Not the squirel dying part, thats tragic, but your writing is killing me sides with laughter right now! A stretcher...yeah, thats good stuff.

Phoebe said...

You know, Jen, it starts small. First it's a squirrel, next a cat, pretty soon you'll be chasing down elk and buffalo. PETA will definitely be keeping an eye on you!

cryssal said...

I still am a bit shaken over taking out a suicidal dog in October! I feel your pain.

j and k said...

You know, it's funny...tonight there was a squirrel gathering near my home. I'm pretty sure they were conspiring jumping a boat to head across the river...some sort of retaliation plan...???

Alisha B. Whitman said...

Love the stretcher image. Did your kids know what happened? I will always remember my mom crying when she found out she'd killed a bunny. She didn't stop crying til way after she'd buried it.

Erin said...

Jen, I love this. Sorry for the squirrel, but you are hillarious. I think it's good it was a partial hit, if not, that would have left a terrible mess on the road and who wants that?